Skip to main content

5 Hospitals Down South: A Comparison of the Costs of Giving Birth


Froggy and I researched hospitals and rates back when I was 4 months on the way.  Most of the research was done online since because it was convenient.  I learned that rates vary widely depending on the hospital. One could give birth for as low as 10k to as high as 250k depending on preferences and complications.

A friend of mine gave birth 3 years ago and spent less than 20k at a lying-in.  I found this crazy since she bought an electric breast pump at 16k.  She said the experience was fine, it was near her home and her doctor was attentive.  Her husband was allowed to stay and video the whole thing (to Froggy: no you are not allowed.  You may only stay at my side and watch what happens from the top of my head to my waist.)

I’m quite the scaredy-cat as I’ve never been confined or had surgery in my life so I really wanted to give birth at a hospital.  I finally settled on Medical Center Paranaque as this was the hospital recommended by my doctor.  She’s also affiliated with Asian Hospital and Paranaque Doctors’ but since I asked for an option that wasn’t as pricey as Asian Hospital she gave us this option saying that the staff there are quite experienced already and they don’t keep changing nurses so often.

I’d like to share the rates and guesstimates I was able to come up with in our hunt for our hospital:

1.) Medical Center Paranaque (825.6911; 825.6915; 825.0290; 825.0291)

(inclusive of professional fees, baby’s tests, anesthesia, use of operating room and 3 days confinement)
a.        Normal: around 50k
b.       Ceasarean: less than 100k

These estimates came from my doctor and pretty much match the information I got when I called up the hospital.  We’re targeting to prepare 120 to 160k though just in case.  The hospital is located along Sucat, near Shopwise and parking doesn’t seem to be a problem.

2.) Las Pinas Doctors Hospital (825.5293)

a.        Normal: (1 day stay not including professional fees, Screening, Vaccines, etc.  And only inclusive of use of facilities, and mother's medicines  ) 15 to 20k 
b.       Cesarean: (Hospital bill only and inclusive of use of facilities, and mother's medicines not including professional fees): 25 to 30k

I was hoping that this would be a good and affordable hospital since its so close to where I live but my doctor is not affiliated here and it looks a bit gloomy.  I do know someone who’s gave birth here years ago and she and her kids look okay.  The hospital is located along CAA road right next to the Shell Station. 

 

3.)     Perpetual Help Las Pinas (874.5334)

a.        Normal: (2 days Private Room not including professional fees; only inclusive of use of facilities, and mother's medicines) 35 to 40k
b.       Cesarean: (Hospital bill only and inclusive of use of facilities, and mother's medicines not including professional fees): 70 to 80k

Earlier this year I saw some postings online for a maternity package at Perpetual Help but upon inquiring they didn’t offer it anymore.  The hospital has improved a lot and looks much more pleasant than it used to.  We had a chance to visit and silip the NICU (neo-natal intensive care unit) and everything looked crisp and clean.  Its also very accessible as its along Alabang Zapote Road and there are a lot of places to eat or buy food nearby.  My previous doctor recommended this hospital but my mom warned me against since they have a school and she didn’t want me attended to or pestered by students.  I’m all for on the job training but I don’t really know if I’d be comfortable having unnecessary people watching me deliver my baby.

4.)     St. Luke’s (BGC) (789.7700)

a.        Normal: (no package offered for first time moms) 100k
b.       Cesarean: (recovery room, room and board for 4 days, post delivery meds, medical supplies and vaccines for baby, newborn screening and hearing test, professional fees of OB, anesthesioloigist and pedia): 100 to 110k

I was daydreaming about giving birth at St. Luke’s when I heard about the package they offered since it was all inclusive and sounded like a steal at 100 to 110k for Cesarean.  I thought that their package for normal delivery would cost at least 30% less than that.  Sadly, they don’t offer maternity packages for NSD for first time mommies.  The facilities are really nice though and the hospital is new.

5.)     Asian Hospital (771.9000)

a.        Normal: (Not including professional fees; hospital charges only, 2 nights room accomodation is standard private room, anesthesia, supplies and meds, newborn and hearing) 50 to 60k
b.       Cesarean: (Not including professional fees.  Scheduled CS; operating room 3 night standard private, operating room, anesthesia, supplies and meds, newborn and hearing): 70 to 80k

Now I know the rates I posted seem really low for Asian Hospital but these are the rates given to me by their staff and I thought it would only be fair to post it.  I know 2 people who gave birth at Asian earlier this year by CS and it cost them 250k each.  The reason the rates seem so low is because professional fees are not included.  Unfortunately these are dependent on who your doctors are so there’s no way for me to estimate this.  I have heard though that half the birthing expense is usually for doctors’ fees.

I love Asian Hospital.  It feels pleasant and it looks clean.  Lately its been crowded though.  We visit this hospital for check ups with our various doctors (orthopedist, pediatrician, cardiologist, internist, dermatologist, etc.) This is my mom’s preferred hospital but I put my foot down and said we couldn’t afford it. 


My sister-in-law gave birth at East Avenue Medical Center (928.0611) last month via CS and spent around 50k.  It’s a shame its so far from where I live or I would have considered this hospital since Froggy’s sisters have given birth there and have a regular doctor already.

I got these figures by asking the billing offices of the hospitals.  Unfortunately the ones that do not include professional fees in the estimated cost could not give me any figures for the doctors’ professional fees as they don’t process these.  Its best to give them a call as rates may have changed lately.  They’re very helpful as most of the billing staff are women and all you have to say is you’re due on ______ and would like to estimate how much it would cost.

Happy hunting!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Hospital Shortlist: 5 Hospitals Down South

I'd like to share the hospital room rates Medical Center Paranaque gave me and some room rates of nearby hospitals in the south.  Medical Center Paranaque (where I will be giving birth anytime now) Honestly the hospital looks old and tired and if my doctor hadn't assured me that the staff are capable I wouldn't think twice about scrapping it from my list.  I do know that a lot of the doctors here are also doctors who have clinics at the pricey Asian Hospital though.  The staff are in their late 30s and 40s unlike the young staff at Asian and St. Luke's.  Its old, stuffy, the parking is not well planned at all and they are currently renovating some parts which makes the place look even more tired what with all the cut out holes in the ceiling but it was recommended by my doctor and it fits the budget.  This is also the hospital where my brother would go way back when he would have asthma attacks some 15 years back.  Private Room 2 (Newly Renovated): 2960.00 per da

We Got Married for 180k, This is How It Looked

  Marriage is a choice for a lifetime that we both made, but the wedding itself.. its my biggest project! I got married at a cost of 180k, 183k to be more exact. It was great wedding, with enough pouf and ceremony to mark it as an important day in our lives but it was low key enough that 1.) it didn't empty our bank account and 2.) we didn't need to solicit anything from anyone. We'd been living together for a year when we got married.  Out little boy had just turned 3 a few days before the wedding and was the cutest, most solemn ring bearer.  With the new expenses of maintaining our own house, a child, 2 cars and anticipating incoming school expenses, an expensive wedding just didn't seem practical to us. So how did we do it?  There are so many wedding blogs and magazines out there showcasing beautiful weddings, and I wanted that.  I was on Pinterest daily looking for inspiration and trying to firm up the details in my mind.  The thing with these featured