Skip to main content

5 Quick Rules to Purging Your Closet


I'd been toying with the idea of a capsule wardrobe for four years now.  I loved the idea of a personal uniform.  The thought of never having to try on two or three tops or dresses before settling for a regular item in my wardrobe felt liberating.  

After moving to our first apartment I had to let go of half of my clothes.  3 years later we bought a house which was even smaller (and had no closet) and I had to let go of 3 balikbayan boxes worth of clothes.  Purging became easier and easier each time partly because I now have the option to buy clothes I actually like since my income has improved over the years.


So here are 5 quick rules that make purging easier:

1.)  You Don't Like It

Why keep something that makes you crinkle your nose or roll your eyes or even snicker every time you see it?  There is no shame in getting rid of an unwanted gift even if it is from an in-law, your mom, your best friend or even your spouse.  This applies to bags and shoes too.  Sell it online to someone who might actually like it.

2.) It Doesn't Fit

Toss it.  Too loose, weird in places, too short, or too tight (especially if too tight) just TOSS.  Don't keep it because you think you MIGHT slim down to fit into it again.  You really should have a better goal to slim down than just to fit into an old pair of jeans or short shorts.  Donate it to someone who can use it.

3.) It's Out of Style

Vintage is in now but there are items that are just no longer relevant like neon leggings and peplum blouses, bakuna tops (AKA cold-shoulder tops).  Sure they could come back in style SOMEDAY but personally the items I used to keep for when they come back in style just ended up in storage for years.  

4.) It's "In Case"

If it's a "for when" item = keep.  Most of the time "in case" items just sit in our closets gathering dust.  A good example of this are costumes from company Christmas Parties and bridesmaid's dresses.  It is highly unlikely you will wear them again even if you get invited to another wedding.  You  would most likely want a different dress.  I suggest you sell once-used formal wear online its a good place to look too if you need a formal dress.  As for the costumes, how likely is it that your employer will do a repeat of last year's Christmas party theme this year?  or even next year?

5.) It's irrelevant

Old company uniforms that look like uniforms.  This needs no explaining.  It'll take up space in your closet.  If you feel sentimental about it just remember you probably have a photo of yourself wearing it somewhere.


I don't know the exact count of items I have in my closet but this is what I have:

Office Wear: I have 3 weeks worth of office wear in my closet.  It sounds excessive at first but I've come to realize I like having choices.  I like putting together an outfit an surprising myself with combinations I haven't previously tried.  I feel like its making a statement to the world when I step out.  It really depends on your industry.  The type of work I have requires me to be presentable, a bit formal and look authoritative.  I look a bit young so I need dress up a bit.  

Pambahay: I have about a week worth of clothes that I think are pretty decent and wouldn't make me feel under dressed at the supermarket.  No ratty old clothes, those are for basahan.

Sleepwear: I don't have sleepwear.  

Underwear: A week's worth of underwear and I only kept those that are comfortable and fit well.  I have 3 pairs of socks for cold nights and when I need to wear sneakers.

Active Wear: 2 sets.  I'm not very active and I do my home exercise in my pambahay.  The two sets I have are for company activities where I'd need to wear active wear.

Everything hung fits on about two meters of rod space and I have three shelves for folded items and underwear.  This is a huge leap from my old life where I filled up three cabinets with clothes.


According to The Minimalists, if you can't see yourself using an item in the next 90 days you probably don't need it.  I agree.  The only exceptions for this rule is "for when" items like thermal wear, pullovers and jackets for chillier months or chilly offices, a simple black or white dress for funerals, and a crisp outfit for job interviews and formal meetings.

Basically the rule is to keep only what you will wear any extra is just going to take up space and add to the things you have to organize and clean.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Hospital Shortlist: 5 Hospitals Down South

I'd like to share the hospital room rates Medical Center Paranaque gave me and some room rates of nearby hospitals in the south.  Medical Center Paranaque (where I will be giving birth anytime now) Honestly the hospital looks old and tired and if my doctor hadn't assured me that the staff are capable I wouldn't think twice about scrapping it from my list.  I do know that a lot of the doctors here are also doctors who have clinics at the pricey Asian Hospital though.  The staff are in their late 30s and 40s unlike the young staff at Asian and St. Luke's.  Its old, stuffy, the parking is not well planned at all and they are currently renovating some parts which makes the place look even more tired what with all the cut out holes in the ceiling but it was recommended by my doctor and it fits the budget.  This is also the hospital where my brother would go way back when he would have asthma attacks some 15 years back.  Private Room 2 (Newly Renovated): 2960.00 per da

We Got Married for 180k, This is How It Looked

  Marriage is a choice for a lifetime that we both made, but the wedding itself.. its my biggest project! I got married at a cost of 180k, 183k to be more exact. It was great wedding, with enough pouf and ceremony to mark it as an important day in our lives but it was low key enough that 1.) it didn't empty our bank account and 2.) we didn't need to solicit anything from anyone. We'd been living together for a year when we got married.  Out little boy had just turned 3 a few days before the wedding and was the cutest, most solemn ring bearer.  With the new expenses of maintaining our own house, a child, 2 cars and anticipating incoming school expenses, an expensive wedding just didn't seem practical to us. So how did we do it?  There are so many wedding blogs and magazines out there showcasing beautiful weddings, and I wanted that.  I was on Pinterest daily looking for inspiration and trying to firm up the details in my mind.  The thing with these featured

5 Hospitals Down South: A Comparison of the Costs of Giving Birth

Froggy and I researched hospitals and rates back when I was 4 months on the way.  Most of the research was done online since because it was convenient.  I learned that rates vary widely depending on the hospital. One could give birth for as low as 10k to as high as 250k depending on preferences and complications. A friend of mine gave birth 3 years ago and spent less than 20k at a lying-in.  I found this crazy since she bought an electric breast pump at 16k.  She said the experience was fine, it was near her home and her doctor was attentive.  Her husband was allowed to stay and video the whole thing (to Froggy: no you are not allowed.  You may only stay at my side and watch what happens from the top of my head to my waist.) I’m quite the scaredy-cat as I’ve never been confined or had surgery in my life so I really wanted to give birth at a hospital.  I finally settled on Medical Center Paranaque as this was the hospital recommended by my doctor.  She’s also affiliated with A