Skip to main content

Cribs or Playpens on a Budget

At 6 or 7 months prego I was bit by the nesting bug and started to panic and get giddy over getting things for my little one.  My mom has this thing about getting baby stuff before the baby is born.  I'm not sure if this is out of superstition or if she just wants to stop me from overshopping and running out of baby-delivery money.  In any case, this, along with some practical resistance on Froggy's (my husband) part has probably saved me from being buried in debt.  Anyway, this baby's going to be born on a budget since he or she was a bit of a surprise so I have to shop smart. 

I started hunting for a crib with no real idea on how to go about it.  I read up online and took a look at the available options in the market.  I went to Binondo (don't bother they don't have so much), looked online (for hours and hours) and scoured the malls (Baby Company still comes out on top).  I eventually found a playpen I loved at HMR along SLEX.  It got it for 2,450.00.  HMR sells things from closing businesses and overstock usually from US stores though I know that they do look into other sources as well since I met the owner when our dog clothes shop was closing up waaay back.

Anyway, I decided on a playpen for the following reasons:


 1.) Safety.  I don't want any hard, heavy, movable wooden parts near my baby especially since I need to go back to work aster my 60 day leave.  I feel safer with the playpen.
2.) Its way cheaper.   Like I said, Froggy and I are on a budget but still want to get good stuff for our kid.
3.)  It matched the room's colors.  ahehehehe..
4.) It folds up into the square thingy in the picture on the right so we can cart it off to my in-laws' place when we visit.

I'm planning to get another playpen or maybe a wooden crib when my baby is about 3 or 5 months old and starts moving around so I can move this playpen to the ground floor of our house.

In this day and age you can't not check online.  I've found a lot of baby stuff that are cheaper online even with shipping costs but personally I still want to be able to touch and hold my stash right after I've paid for them and look them over carefully, physically before I cough up the cash.  Here are the best deals I've spotted online:

Abebe Beybishop (Facebook)
Their wooden cribs go for 3,700.00 to 4,000.00.  These are from Japan and I believe they're second hand but since they're wood, can be sanded and the mattress can be replaced for about 800.00 (SM Hypermarket or Baby Comapany) it really shouldn't be an issue.  My sister in law bought her little girl's wooden crib from them and its really, really nice.  I might get one eventually just cause its preeetty...  The picture isn't so good as they don't try to light their items artificially but since I've seen my niece's crib I can say they have some pretty good stuff.




Lecian Shop (Facebook)
This one I haven't checked out in person but it looks okay.. online anyway.  They actually make their own cribs and they come in 3 sizes ranging from about 3k to almost 5k (my memory may be rusty).  They also have mattresses available.


Che's Baby Shop (Sulit.com)
This one is quite the winner at just 2,500.00 it comes with a diaper changing deck, second layer (for younger babies), a board/mattress, mosquito net, arch for hanging toys and shelves for baby bottles. 

I haven't seen this playpen physically but it looks pretty solid to me.  I probably would have gotten this had I not yet bought my baby's playpen already.

This seller also has bundles wherein they package the stroller, carseat, and playpen for about 5k to 6k.  We opted not to get this though as we plan to buy the stroller (from Abebe) when the baby's old enough to go out.  I'm the kind of mom who'll keep her baby home during the first few months except to visit the grandaparents and doctor.  I really don't see the point in exposing him or her to germs and viruses at such an early age plus the kid won't remember or appreciate the mall anyway since its loud and confusing.



SM Hypermarket Sucat
 While they don't have the widest selection, SM Hypermarket usually boasts a lot of budget friendly items.  I know this because I used to work for them.  The baby products here are on consignment from Baby Company but I've been to several branches and they don't always carry the same items especially for these bulkier things.  Be sure to visit the MOA and Sucat branch as these are the bigger ones. 

The white crib below was on sale at the time we visited.  Bedding and mattress are not included. These cost about 1,300.00 and 800.00 respectively. My mom was apprehensive about the plastic thingies that hold up the side rails though so even if it was cute and affordable, we had to pass this up.
 
You'll want to check on how safe the second level is. I saw several playpens wherein only 4 straps at 1" wide held the second layer up. These were fastened with hooks. I know the little baby is probably light but its better to err on the side of caution and reinforce these straps should you buy a playpen like this. There was this one playpen in Hypermarket MOA that had its second level held up by fabric pockets running along all 4 sides.  Its a smaller one but I really appreciated how safe it looked.. plus the mattress was free.  Sorry I wasn't able to take a picture but it was about the same size as the one below.


Metro Department Store
We visited the Metro Department Store in Alabang and found this.  I like the way it looks though personally I would have stained it white and glossed it up a bit.  Mattress and bedding not included of course.


Made to Order
Originally we had planned to have our little one's crib made by one of the many palo china shops all over the metro but we soon had to scrap that idea when the shops quoted us at 2k for labor plus cost of wood.  We estimated we would have to spend about 5k and that doesn't include the special hinges to adjust the height of the crib and the side rails.  Here's a sample of fabricated palo china cribs online:



This one was listed at 1,700.00.  Now that's really affordable but keep in mind that its really small and the mattress is not yet included.  I've heard you can get cribs like this for as low as 900.00. 

Second Hand
I didn't really consider thsi option though I think its really practical simply because I enjoy shopping for my little one so much.  I did see some postings online for second hand cribs and these range from 2k to 6k depending on the brand.

I hope this post on cribs and playpens was helpful.  I know if you're a mom-to-be like me you'll probably still go out and canvass on your own since its so fun and exciting.  I already have my playpen but still can't help checking out the ones I pass in the mall or occassionally browsing through Sulit.

Comments

  1. Great post! Bringing home a new dog, whether it’s a puppy or an adult, is like bringing home a new baby – you need to be prepared, and you need supplies. So, I was looking for articles on buying dog playpen online, when I came across yours inspiring read. You saved my time and effort, Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Hospital Shortlist: 5 Hospitals Down South

I'd like to share the hospital room rates Medical Center Paranaque gave me and some room rates of nearby hospitals in the south.  Medical Center Paranaque (where I will be giving birth anytime now) Honestly the hospital looks old and tired and if my doctor hadn't assured me that the staff are capable I wouldn't think twice about scrapping it from my list.  I do know that a lot of the doctors here are also doctors who have clinics at the pricey Asian Hospital though.  The staff are in their late 30s and 40s unlike the young staff at Asian and St. Luke's.  Its old, stuffy, the parking is not well planned at all and they are currently renovating some parts which makes the place look even more tired what with all the cut out holes in the ceiling but it was recommended by my doctor and it fits the budget.  This is also the hospital where my brother would go way back when he would have asthma attacks some 15 years back.  Private Room 2 (Newly Renovated): 2960.00 per da

We Got Married for 180k, This is How It Looked

  Marriage is a choice for a lifetime that we both made, but the wedding itself.. its my biggest project! I got married at a cost of 180k, 183k to be more exact. It was great wedding, with enough pouf and ceremony to mark it as an important day in our lives but it was low key enough that 1.) it didn't empty our bank account and 2.) we didn't need to solicit anything from anyone. We'd been living together for a year when we got married.  Out little boy had just turned 3 a few days before the wedding and was the cutest, most solemn ring bearer.  With the new expenses of maintaining our own house, a child, 2 cars and anticipating incoming school expenses, an expensive wedding just didn't seem practical to us. So how did we do it?  There are so many wedding blogs and magazines out there showcasing beautiful weddings, and I wanted that.  I was on Pinterest daily looking for inspiration and trying to firm up the details in my mind.  The thing with these featured

5 Hospitals Down South: A Comparison of the Costs of Giving Birth

Froggy and I researched hospitals and rates back when I was 4 months on the way.  Most of the research was done online since because it was convenient.  I learned that rates vary widely depending on the hospital. One could give birth for as low as 10k to as high as 250k depending on preferences and complications. A friend of mine gave birth 3 years ago and spent less than 20k at a lying-in.  I found this crazy since she bought an electric breast pump at 16k.  She said the experience was fine, it was near her home and her doctor was attentive.  Her husband was allowed to stay and video the whole thing (to Froggy: no you are not allowed.  You may only stay at my side and watch what happens from the top of my head to my waist.) I’m quite the scaredy-cat as I’ve never been confined or had surgery in my life so I really wanted to give birth at a hospital.  I finally settled on Medical Center Paranaque as this was the hospital recommended by my doctor.  She’s also affiliated with A